2012: Sea Change
This past year has been crazy good for me.
I’m gonna bullet point this post because a lot has happened and I want to remember it.
- 2012 United Way Loaned Executive of the Year
- First Made by Few with Arlton and Gabe
- 5 Northeast Arkansas ADDY Awards for work with Pleth
- TrakQR - out of beta with paid users and sustainable
- Numerous Speaker Appearances across Arkansas
- Marketing Director at Kitty Hawk Kites (17 locations from New Hampshire to Florida and umbrella’d brands include: Waves Village Kiteboarding Resort, Morningside Flight Park, Kitty Hawk Surf Company and Jockey’s Ridge Crossing)
- Successfully managed 10 major festivals across the east coast.
- Managed, coordinated and developed hundreds of ads on multiple mediums (radio, print, TV, web and social)
- Lost a total of 47lbs - it peaked at 56lbs but unfortunately I gained the months of November and December…boo.
- Began an amazing journey of healing and a new found closeness with my dad.
- Hang Gliding Lessons
- Stand Up Paddleboarding - I still pretty much stink at this but E for effort!
- Overcame some mistakes and executed some major wins
Myself or my projects were published, mentioned or featured in:
- Air & Space Magazine
- NBC - Take It All
- National Geographic
- Boston Globe
- Huffington Post
- Endless Vacation Magazine
- Tampa Tribune
- Men’s Journal
- TORO Magazine
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- Mid-South Latino Magazine
- Arkansas Business
- Innovate Arkansas
- Arkansas Times
- Other local publications/affiliates in Arkansas, Florida, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Virginia.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Jealousy and greed will ruin the strongest of friendships.
- Sometimes internalizing is better than externalizing and sometimes it’s just really not.
- Never talk smack about your spouse and never let someone else talk smack about them either.
- People are going to lie and say untrue things about you, rise above it.
- Appreciate the people around you.
- A big ego and an arrogant attitude hinders progress and growth.
- Avoid passive agressive people. Just stay away from them, it’s not worth it.
- Communication or its absence is usually the beginning of the best and worst situations.
- Let go of the petty crap - worrying about it isn’t going to change anything.
- Laugh, a lot.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously.
- Keep a copy of If by Rudyard Kipling nearby - always.
- A bunch of lessons on owning a business, startups and general LLC stuff.
So, here’s to 2013. It’s already starting out busy and full of awesome new experiences.